This guide walks through the manual installation of the Pentaho Server on your own web application server and explains how to configure it to use the Pentaho Repository database of your choice.
This guide assumes that you have read the Pentaho Installation Overview article to make sure that this is the best installation option for you.
Before you begin
Review these prerequisites before you start the manual installation.
- Read the overview of installation options in the Pentaho installation article to ensure that this method is the best installation option for you.
- Checked the Components Reference to ensure that your server computer, Pentaho Repository database, and web browser meet Pentaho's requirements for this version of the software.
- Uninstalled any evaluation version of Pentaho.
IT administrators who know where the data is stored, how to connect to it, details about the computing environment, and how to use the command line to issue commands for Microsoft Windows or Linux. You should also know how to install a database and a web application server.
You must supply a web application server that meets the hardware and software requirements indicated in the Components Reference , as well as a supported operating system and JRE or JDK. Additionally, you will need a text editor and a ZIP tool to complete some of the steps in this installation process.
The Pentaho Repository contains solution content, scheduling, and audit tables needed for the Pentaho Server to operate. You can house the Pentaho Repository on PostgreSQL, MySQL, MS SQL Server, or Oracle. With this installation option, you must supply, install, and configure your chosen database yourself.
You must be logged on to an account that has administrative privileges to perform the tasks in these sections. Additionally, Linux users need to use the root account for some tasks.
A manual installation requires these items and expertise:
|You Supply||Each of the following items must meet or exceed the requirements in
the Components Reference: |
|Approximate Installation Time||
You can download the Pentaho software from the https://support.pentaho.com/home.
Manual installation process
The manual installation process consists of the following steps, depending on the operating system used for your environment:
- Prepare Your Environment: Either Windows or Linux
- If your operating system is Windows, select Prepare Your Windows Environment for Installation.
- If your operating system is Linux, select Prepare Your Linux Environment for Installation.
- Prepare Repository: You can select one of the following database types for your Pentaho Repository:
- Choose and Prepare Your Web Application Server: You can use either Tomcat or JBoss, but
you must install the web app server yourself.
- Provide your own Tomcat web application server.
- Provide your own JBos web application server.
- You need to prepare your JBoss connections before starting the Pentaho Server.
- Start the Pentaho Server: The final step is to start the Pentaho Server and install your licenses.
Manual installation of the Pentaho Client Tools
After you install and start the Pentaho Server, you can manually install the Pentaho client tools.
Once you have installed both the Pentaho Server and client tools, configure the Pentaho Server and design tools so that you can install licenses, log on to the Pentaho Server, set up data sources, and choose a security method.
See our list of common problems and resolutions.