The Data Table feature allows you to display a tabular representation of a database query in a dashboard. It also allows you and consumers of the dashboard to manipulate the display of the data in the data table, while in the dashboard. For example, users can resize, sort, and change the order of columns.
Add a Data Table to a Dashboard
Perform the following steps to add a data table to your dashboard:
- Select a panel in the Dashboard Designer.
- Click the Insert icon and choose Data Table. The Select a Data Source dialog box appears.
- Select a data source from the list of available data sources and click OK. The Query Editor opens.
- Begin building your query. Click (+) next to the category name to display its associated table columns. When the column names appear, click to choose the column that contains the data you want displayed in your data table.
- Click the small yellow arrow to place the column name under Selected Columns.
- Now add the Conditions; these are your constraints that filter what you are choosing. You can add multiple conditions. Under Combine, you can choose your constraint (and, or, and not, or not) from the drop-down list. Under Comparisons you can click the drop-down list to display options for comparisons, =, <, >, and so on; (for example, where the customer number is equal to 144 or 145). You can also choose an aggregation type from the drop-down list for table columns that contain numeric data. The table below contains a definition for each aggregate type:
Aggregate Type Description SUM Sums a column's values COUNT Counts a column's values AVG Averages a column's values MIN Selects the minimum column value MAX Selects the maximum column value
- Add the columns that you want to Order By. The ordering of the selected data is accomplished by one or more columns in a table. For example, you can sort the data by customer name and address.
- Click OK in the Query Editor when you are done. The Data Table appears in the dashboard panel.
Update the Data Table Display
You can edit the data table display directly in the dashboard panel.
- Sorting Column Data. To change the sort order data under a column, click the drop-down arrow in the header and choose Sort Ascending or Sort Descending. You can also hide one or more columns by disabling the appropriate check boxes next to the column names.
- Adjusting Column Width. You can adjust the width of a column by clicking the right border of the column header and dragging it to the right or left. Release the mouse button when you are done.
- Moving Columns. To move the placement of a column, click and drag the column to the appropriate location in the Data Table.
- Paginating. The pagination feature allows you to page through a large number of records.