Link a Report from Report Designer
You must have a report (.prpt) that contains a hyperlink before you can complete this task. See Pentaho Report Designer for instructions about adding hyperlinks to a report.
The instructions that follow show you how a link inside a Report Designer report (.prpt) can drive a parameter in content on another dashboard panel. You must adjust the instructions when working with your own data.
- Create a simple dashboard that contains a .prpt report and a data table. At this point, none of the content has been linked and you have a "static" dashboard.
Notice the report (.prpt) in the example above. You want dashboard consumers to click a territory (APAC, EMEA, etc.), hyperlink and have the data table update with information about that territory specifically.
- Under General Settings, choose the report (.prpt) and click the Content Linking tab. Click the checkbox next to the field you want used for content linking.
- Add a parameterized condition to the query for the data table by specifying a parameter name in curly braces in the Value text box; then, provide a default value for that parameter in the Default text box. In the example below, a parameter called TERRITORY with a default value of NA has been created.
Parameterizing a query, as described here, allows you to pass values dynamically and update the data table based on events triggered by other elements of the dashboard such as a user choosing an item from a filter control or following links defined in content associated with another panel in the dashboard.
- Under General Settings, choose the data table and click the Content Linking tab. Click the drop-down arrow, in the Source text box to display another source for the parameter you created. In the example below, notice that Product Line Share by Territory - Territory , (this is the name of the dashboard panel that contains the .prpt), is now selected as a source for the Territory parameter.
- Save your dashboard. See Saving Dashboards. When content linking is achieved, the data table updates when a link in the report (.prpt) is clicked as shown in the example below.