Create a CSV Data Source
Before you begin working with CSV data sources, there are a few key terms that you should know.
- Delimiter - a character, such as a comma, used to specify a boundary between separate regions in a data stream.
- Enclosure - a container that holds a collection of other data objects.
- Length - indicates the maximum number of characters allowed in a field.
- Precision - the number of digits after a decimal point.
- Login to the User Console.
- Click the Create New button, then choose Data Source from the menu.
- Click the New Data Source button. The Data Source Wizard appears.
- Enter a name that identifies your new data source in the Data Source Name field. The following characters are not allowed in Data Source names:
- Select CSV File from the Source Type drop-down menu.
- Click Import... to browse for your CSV file. Double-click to select the CSV file you want to upload.
- Choose your delimiter and enclosure types.
If you want to use the first row of your CSV file as headings for columns in the file, leave First row is header check box selected. If you want to use the first row as data, disable the First row is header check box.File Preview window displays the first few lines of your CSV file based on the selections you made for the delimiter, enclosure, and header. Once the columns align correctly in the preview, the delimiter and enclosure have been set correctly.
- Click Next.
The Staging Settings screen displays a list of columns from your CSV source file. All columns are enabled.
Choose the columns that you want to use in your data source, either individually or by clicking Select All. You can deselect all columns by clicking Deselect All.
- Change the Name and Type values, if applicable.
- Choose the options that you want to use from the drop-down menu for dates and numeric values.
- You can enter a value manually in the Source Format text box.
Drop-down lists are not enabled for certain data types such as the String data type. Boolean values are rendered as "true" or "false."
- Click Show File Contents to look at a sample of the data in your source file. Click Close to return to the Staging Settings screen.
- Continue to work with your CSV data settings or click Finish.
The Data Source Created window appears. You can choose to Keep default model or click Customize model now to launch the Data Source Model Editor and refine the model. Click OK.
Your new data source is now available for use in Analyzer, Interactive Reports, and Dashboard reports, or the Data Source Model Editor appears.