Create a Metadata List
When you create a Metadata List, you are defining a query to retrieve a list of display names and corresponding values from a metadata data source provided by your administrator.
You must have a data table or chart which contains at least one parameter for your prompt control to function correctly.
- In the dashboard page, under General Settings, select Prompts. The Prompt Editor appears on the right. No prompts are listed if this is the first time you are assigning prompts.
- To display a prompt toolbar to users of the dashboard, enable Show Prompt Toolbar. A placeholder for the prompt toolbar appears at the top of the dashboard.
- Click the Add icon to add a prompt. The Prompts dialog box appears.
- In the Prompts dialog box, enter a Name for your prompt.
- Under Data Type, choose Metadata List.
- Click Select to choose the data source which contains the content you need to set options from the drop-down list and click OK. The Query Editor opens.
- In the Query Editor, build a query to choose either a single column (which represents both a name and a value), or two columns representing the display names and corresponding values. If a single column query is defined, the values of that column will be used for both the display names and the values.
- Click OK to exit the Query Editor. Your options appear under Selected Items in the Prompts dialog box.
- Under Control Properties, enter a Default Label/Value for the initially selected option in your prompt control.
- Select a Label to display in the prompt control This is the user-friendly name which users will see in the dashboard.
- Select the Value This is the value in the database which is associated with the label you selected in the previous step.
- If applicable, choose your Display type from the list. Some prompt controls allow you to choose the position of your prompt options. If you have a long list of options, such as a list of cities, options may not appear correctly in the user console unless you change the Display type to Horizontal.
- Click OK.
The list of values appears in the prompts toolbar in the dashboard.