This guide describes how to update from Pentaho Business Analytics (BA) and Pentaho Data Integration (PDI) 5.2.x /6.x to Pentaho 7.0. Our latest release contains multiple new features, platform upgrades, and fixes to improve the efficiency of your Pentaho system.
You will need administrator privileges on the Pentaho Server, know where your data is stored, and how to connect to it in order to upgrade to Pentaho 7.0. We recommend that you read through all related materials before starting the upgrade process.
Before You Begin
Before you begin your Pentaho 7.0 upgrade, you'll need to do a few things.
|Verify Your Current Version of Pentaho Suite and PDI||You will need to start with a working installation of at least Pentaho Suite 5.2.x or PDI 5.2.x.|
Verify Your System Components are Current
|You will need to make sure that your system components, such as web browsers or repository databases, are up-to-date for Pentaho.|
|Backup Your Databases||Create backups of all Pentaho databases. |
|Download and Configure Info-ZIP (Linux only)||Download, install, and configure Info-ZIP open source compression utility using the Info-ZIP documentation. Info-ZIP is available at http://www.info‐zip.org/. |
The license is a BSD-style license and is provided for most Linux and Unix variants.
A Windows version of Info-ZIP is preconfigured and included in the Pentaho update package.
|Verify That No Users Are Logged into the Server||We suggest that you perform this update during off-business hours to minimize impact to your day-to-day operations.|
These things are recommended, but not required, for the Pentaho 7.0 upgrade.
|Review Pentaho 7.0 System Updates|
|Review Previous Functionality Updates to Determine Upgrade Impacts|
Get the Pentaho Upgrade and Utility Files
Upgrade and utility files are available for download from the Pentaho Customer Support Portal.
- On the Customer Portal home page, sign in using the Pentaho support user name and password provided in your Pentaho Welcome Packet.
- Click Downloads, then click Pentaho 7.0 GA Release in the 7.x list.
- On the bottom of the Pentaho 7.0 GA Release page, browse the folders in the Box widget to find the files you need, including the pentaho-server-ee-upgrade- 5.0.0 .zip file in the Utilities and Tools folder.
Available Update Files
Here is a list of BA and DI files that you should have in order to do a complete Pentaho 7.0 update.
|Pentaho Dashboard Designer||pdd‐plugin‐ee‐7.0.x.yy-dist|
|Pentaho Interactive Reporting||pir‐plugin‐ee‐7.0.x.yy-dist|
|License Files||Pentaho [component] Enterprise Edition.lic|
Unzipping Distribution Files
The -dist.zip files include an End-User License Agreement, which you will be prompted to accept prior to extracting the files.
- Unzip the selected dist.zip file.
- Execute the supplied install.bat or install.sh files.
- When prompted, agree to the end-user license agreement.
- Choose the location to store the extracted files.