The Shared Dimension step works in much the same way as the Annotate Stream step, refining your data through the creation of dimensions which can be shared for later use. You will need to designate one annotation in the shared dimensions which you create as the dimension key.
If you want, you can create multiple annotations on the same field. For example, you might want to create an attribute and a dimension key on the same field. You can also create multiple annotations to modify the same data model.
The transformation which builds a Shared Dimension should run before the Build Model job entry or in a separate job which runs before the Build Model. Here is an example transformation for a Shared Dimension.
After you are done with your data model, you will be ready to publish it.
Creating a Shared Dimension
This section describes how to create a Shared Dimension.
Be sure to create one annotation to serve as the Dimension Key.
- Locate the Shared Dimension step from the Design pane in PDI.
- Drag the Shared Dimension icon onto the transformation canvas. Optionally, you can double-click the icon in the Design pane to add the step to the canvas.
- Double-click the Shared Dimension icon to open the dialog box.
- Fill in the information for the following fields:
- Step Name - type a name for your entry in this field.
- Shared Dimension Name - if you are basing your new dimension on an existing shared one, use this list to select from the available shared dimensions, or enter a new name for it.
- Data Provider Step - choose a source for your data from the drop-down list.
- Description - use this field to enter a description of the shared dimension.
- Select Fields - click this button to select from a list of available fields for annotation. After your fields are selected, you can create annotations on them.
- Click OK to continue or Cancel to close the dialog box.
- If you make a change to an annotation, click Apply to save it or Cancel to close the dialog box.
This is an example of the Shared Dimensions dialog box, along with a table that has more details about each field.
|Step Name||Use this field to name the Shared Dimension step.|
|Shared Dimension Name||Select from a list of Shared Dimensions to work with. You can also add a Shared Dimension Group or copy an existing group to base a new group of annotations on.|
|Data Provider Step||Select an data provider step for the transformation.|
|Description||Use this space to enter a description of the Shared Dimension.|
|Annotations section||Displays a list of fields and annotations.|
|Edit (pencil) icon||Use to edit a field that you have highlighted from the Field list.|
|Delete ('X') icon||Use to delete a field that you have highlighted from the Field list.|
|Field column||Lists the names of the fields selected for annotation.|
|Model Action column||Specifies which model action is being taken: Create Attribute or Create Dimension Key.|
|Summary column||Displays a summary of that specific annotation.|
|Select Fields button||Displays a list of available fields for annotation. After selection, you can create annotations on each field. You can create only two types of annotations with the Shared Dimension step: Create Attribute and Create Dimension Key.|
|Apply button||Saves changes to the annotation without closing the window.|
|Help button||Provides a link to the Help documentation.|
|OK button||Click OK to save.|
|Cancel button||Click Cancel to close the window.|