Explains how to use the Migrator Tool to export data from version 4.8.x of the BA Server.
After you have prepared your environment, export data from the 4.8.x version of the server.
Stop 4.8.x Version of the Server
Stop the 4.8.x version of the BA Server, as well as the web application server. To do this, complete these steps.
1. Log out of the User Console and stop the server.
2. Ensure the web application server on which the server is deployed has also been stopped.
Ensure 4.8.x BA Repository Database Is Running
Ensure the database that houses the 4.8.x version of the BA Repository is running. If it is not, start it.
Use Migration Tool to Export Data From 4.8.x Version of the Server
Use the Migration Tool to export solution and generated content, data sources, schedules, user preferences, as well as users and roles from the 4.8.x server. The Prepare DI Migration Plan step outlines the data that the Migration Tool exports. Exported data is saved in a migration bundle file. A log file that contains additional details about the extraction process is also stored in the migration bundle file. After you complete the tasks in this section, you will import this migration bundle file. Instructions for that appear in the next section of this documentation.
To use the Migration Tool to import data, complete these steps.
- If you have not done so already, identify the paths to the pentaho-solutions diretory, where the BA Server is deployed, as well as paths to additional servlets or jar files that you want to export.
- Open a Terminal or Command Prompt window, then navigate to the directory where the Migration Tool is installed.
- Issue a command in the Terminal or Command Prompt windows that indicates the action you want the Migration Tool to perform, as well as the locations to the pentaho-solutions directory, the path to the webapps file, and optionally any additional servlets and jar files that you want to migrate. Also indicate where you want the Migration Tool to place the migration bundle file. The Migration Tool command contains these parameters: ◦
Indicates this is an export command. This parameter is required if you want to export a migration bundle file.
Specifies the directory where you want the migration file to be stored. This parameter is optional. If you do not supply it, the migration bundle file is stored in the same directory where the Migration Tool is installed.
Indicates the path to the pentaho-solutions directory for the 4.8.x version of the BA Server. This parameter is required.
Indicates the path where the 4.8.x version of the BA Server is deployed. This parameter is required.
Indicates the files in your classpath that are needed to run the BA Server. Files in the classpath include JDBC drivers, the servlet.api file, and any relevant configuration folders. Whether you include this parameter depends on the platform on which your BA Server is deployed. If your BA Server is deployed on Tomcat, do NOT include the extra-paths parameter because the classpaths are sensed by the Migration Tool when you run it. If your BA Server is deployed on another web application server, use the extra-paths parameter to the files indicated in your classpath.
Windows: Enter a migration command that follows this format in the Command Prompt window that uses the parameters described at the beginning of this step. Make sure that you specify a unique, but descriptive name for the migration bundle file. The command should be formatted like this example.
migrator.bat --export --migration-bundle-file=C:\Users\pentaho\migrationBAExport.zip --pentaho-solutions-dir=C:\Users\pentaho\biserver-4.8\biserver-ee\pentaho-solutions --pentaho-war=C:\Users\pentaho\biserver-4.8\biserver-ee\tomcat\webapps\pentaho --extra-paths=C:Users\pentaho\biserver-4.8\biserver-ee\company-reports\,\Users\pentaho\mycompany\biserver-ee\company-libs\company.jar
- Linux: Enter a command that follows this format in the Terminal window that uses the parameters described at the beginning of this step. The command should be formatted like this example.
./migrator.sh --export --migration-bundle-file=/Users/mycompany/migrationBAExport.zip --pentaho-solutions-dir=/Users/mycompany/biserver-4.8/biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions --pentaho-war=/Users/mycompany/biserver-4.8/biserver-ee/tomcat/webapps/pentaho --extra-paths=/Users/mycompany/biserver-ee/company-reports/,/Users/mycompany/biserver-ee/company-libs/company.jar
- The Migration Tool runs. The progress of the tool is displayed in the Command Prompt or Terminal window.
Verify Export Process
To verify that the migration bundle has been created properly and that data was extracted, do these things.
- Open a Terminal or Command Prompt window and navigate to the directory where the migration bundle file is stored.
- Verify that the bundle exists and that the file size is not zero.
- Navigate to the directory where the Migration Tool was installed. The migrator.log file should appear. The migrator.log file contains a log of the export process.
- Open the migrator.log file and note any failures or errors. If any failures or errors exist, you might need to migrate that data manually.
- Close the file, then rename the migrator.log file to something else. It is very important that you do this. If you do not rename the file, the migrator.log file will be overwritten when you perform the tasks in the Import Data to New Server step. We suggest that you name the file something meaningful to you, like migrator_ba_export_09212013.log.