An Instaview file is made up of a data transformation, a relational model of your data, and analysis reports to present your data using tables and charts.
- A data integration transformation enables you to extract, transform, and load your data to and from multiple sources or formats.
- A metadata model enables you to select how your data is related to provide a view on all of the combined data.
- Visualize your data by presenting it as tables, charts, maps, or diagrams.
Transform your data with Pentaho Data Integration
Transforming your data enables you to explore the information about your business and turn it into insight to help you make information-driven decisions. The process is known as Extract, Transform, and Load, or ETL. Extract refers to the process of reading data from a source system. Transform is the process of changing the data from its original form. Load refers the process of writing the data into another target system. Between extracting and loading you can manipulate your data in many ways--such as sorting, aggregating, pivoting, splitting, calculating, or validating--so it fits specific needs.
To learn more about Pentaho Data Integration, refer to the section called Get Started with DI.
Visually explore your data using Pentaho Analyzer
Visualize your data in Instaview with the Analyzer canvas (Pentaho Analyzer), an interactive graphical interface for exploring and visualizing your transformed data. Instaview presents your data multi-dimensionally and enables you to select which parts of your data to explore and how to display your analysis.
When Instaview connects to the specified data source, it analyzes the data to identify measures and dimensions. Measures are the quantitative values within your data and are numerical. Dimensions, also called Levels, are categorical labels that identify or provide context to measures within your data. Analyzer Reports can be organized by category and sorted in many ways. You can categorize data alphabetically, by number value, by names and categories, and by time. With advanced configuration nearly all of the dimensions and measurements can be configured to fit complex data challenges.
To learn more about Pentaho Analyzer, refer to the section called Get Started with Analyzer Reports.
Supported formats and data sources
- Local Files - Load existing Excel spreadsheets or CSV files.
- Relational Databases - Working with JDBC compliant databases in Instaview enables you to analyze your data even without in-depth knowledge of how your database is structured.
- Big Data - Cassandra, Hadoop, Hive, or MongoDB are easily integrated.